If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best tennis skirt is, then we recommend the Nike Women’s Court Dry Straight Tennis Skort as the best one.
Looking for the best tennis skirts? Our guide will be able to help you!
Today, we are going to introduce you to what we think are the 5 greatest skirts you can find out there. On top of that, we have prepared a handy buyer’s guide to help you better understand skirts and choose the right one!
In this article, we’re going to review the following tennis skirts:
What To Look For When Shopping For The Best Tennis Skirt
Shopping for a tennis skirt might seem easy, but it’s quite challenging in reality, especially if we are talking about shopping online.
In a physical store, you may try on different skirts and see how they fit your style and body shape. Besides, you may assess the quality of the skirt on the spot.
When shopping online, you don’t have these perks – to pick correctly, you’ll need to know what to look for in a tennis skirt and perhaps have some luck.
Well, to hopefully help you pick the best tennis skirt for your needs, we’ll now talk about a few important features to consider in them.
The skirt cut is the first thing you should pay attention to. The cut determines how restrictive the skirt is, how it looks on you, and how it moves.
Tennis skirts are usually made in the following cuts:
Let’s have a look at these slightly more in-depth.
Most tennis skirts you will find out there are pleated. This is because the pleats allow the skirt to move freely, only minimally restricting mobility on the court. Unless you specifically want a skirt with one of the two other cuts, go for a pleated tennis skirt.
A-line skirts are narrow at the hips and gradually widen toward the bottom. This cut kind of looks like the letter A, hence the name.
Although A-line skirts aren’t as mobile as pleated skirts, their wide bottom allows for a good amount of freedom. Aside from that, their shape makes them seem the wearer slimmer, which might be a huge benefit for some women.
Straight skirts fit the wearer tighter and don’t allow for as much freedom of movement as A-line or pleated skirts, though they usually have slits to somewhat increase mobility. Generally, straight skirts are considered the most fashionable choice, though how you will perform in them on the court will depend on your body shape.
Wind and constant movement often force skirts to ride up the legs of the wearer. To help you avoid exposing yourself to spectators, some tennis skirts have built-in shorts or underwear. If you were going to buy underwear or tight-fitting shorts for tennis anyway, these skirts are a good choice.
With that said, some women may not like that the undershorts restrict the breathability of the shorts. To each their own, as they say.
Note that tennis skirts with shorts are sometimes called skorts, so don’t get confused if you see a skirt-like product named “skort”.
Tennis skirts are mostly between 11 and 15 inches long. Generally, lengths closer to 13 inches work the best, but you should obviously choose a skirt that’s comfortable for you. But remember that a short skirt may be too revealing, while a skirt that is too long may be too restrictive.
Material & Comfort
When it comes to material and comfort, there are many things to pay attention to in tennis skirts.
First up, consider the material. Tennis skirts are generally made of polyester or nylon, though you may be able to find cotton skirts as well. Your skirt should be as light as possible and have thinner fabric. However, make sure that your skirt is not see-through – very thin fabric may be translucent.
Another thing to consider is whether or not the skirt has any spandex (also called elastane or Lycra) in it. This fabric makes skirts more stretchy – the more spandex there is in the skirt, the more stretchy it gets. The best tennis skirts out there are typically stretchy.
Moisture wicking is another super-useful feature to have. Moisture-wicking fabrics pull sweat away from your skin, keeping you dry and comfy. If you can, do buy a tennis skirt made with moisture-wicking material – the benefits of moisture-wicking fabrics cannot be overestimated.
Finally, consider getting a skirt with mesh paneling as well. Mesh vents throughout the skirt will make the skirt more breathable, but do make sure that the vents don’t make the skirt too revealing.
And lastly, pay attention to color. We would actually discourage you from buying a skirt only because you like its color, but aesthetics should not be neglected. Pick a skirt whose look you like the most, but don’t forget to consider the previous features as well.
Read more about What To Wear To Play Tennis? (A guide to fashion and function).
5 Best Tennis Skirts Reviewed
This high-waist pleated tennis skirt from Hoerev is a great choice if you want to have added freedom of movement on the court. The pleats allow the skirt to expand freely as you move, so you shouldn’t be restricted during the game in any way.
Unfortunately, this skirt is not stretchy, but the pleated fabric still keeps it flexible.
We also like the high-waist design of this tennis skirt – it accentuates the waist and may look super-attractive on you.
- With inner shorts, avoid embarrassment
- Machine Wash
- Side hidden zipper closure
- perfect compliment to a Girl Scout Cadette/Senior/Ambassador/Back to school season uniform ,Alaso it can fit for many other occasions: scooters play ,halloween ,christmas and so on. As the material is high quality
There are over a dozen color options for this skirt as well, which sets it apart from all other options on this list. The Hoerev skirt is rather inexpensive too, so it’s a good choice if you aren’t that serious about tennis.
- Pleated design for increased mobility.
- Plenty of color options.
- On the shorter side.
- Not stretchy.
The 3AXE tennis skirt is a really cool one. It’s about as inexpensive as the Hoerev skirt, but it might actually be noticeably better for competitive tennis players.
First up, this is actually a skort – a tennis skirt and shorts two-in-one. The built-in shorts are made of a lightweight mesh material, but they will still somewhat restrict the breathability of the skirt. If you don’t want your skirt to be too revealing though, this skirt should be great.
Aside from the built-in shorts, what we also like about the 3AXE tennis skirt is that it has 11% spandex in it (the rest is polyester). The spandex makes the skirt quite a bit stretchy, so even though this skirt doesn’t have a pleated design, it should keep you mobile on the court.
- ❤Material❤ Skort Outer: 89% Polyester & 11% Spandex / Shorts Inner:90% Polyester 10% & Spandex.Four-way lightweight and stretch fabric,wicks away sweat quickly to keep you dry and cool during those long workouts
- ❤Highlights❤ Comfortable two layers - skirt outer and built-in flexible mesh liner shorts inner offers the comfort and security you need for sports. Internal draw-cord for custom fit.More spandex in the fabric improves elasticity,coverage and comfort.
- ❤Features❤ Wide waistband & internal draw-cord for comfortable natural fit. 2 side pockets on the mesh lining layer and a hidden pocket on the waistband to stow your essentials such as phone & keys.Easy accessible cable hole for earphone. Double layer triangle shaped gusset avoids riding up & pinching, and maximize free movement.
- ❤Designed For❤Four way stretch soft fabric and ergonomic seams for a natural range of motion. Great for tennis, golf,volleyball running,and other activities or daily casual wear.
- ❤Reminder❤Please refer to the Size Chart Image before purchasing or consult our customer service for help. Hand wash/Machine wash in cold water,don't bleach, don't dry clean, please hang dry in the shade.
The 3AXE skirt has a few nice extras too – a pocket and a cable hole for earbuds or a headset – but we think that these are not critical for tennis.
- Has built-in shorts.
- Nothing to complain about.
If you are ready to pay the money for a more serious piece of tennis apparel, then these A-line tennis skorts from Fila could be an excellent choice. The Core skorts are more comfortable than the previous two picks thanks to one huge feature – moisture wicking.
The Coolmax moisture-wicking lining keeps you cool and dry on the court, allowing you to fully focus on the game. Aside from that, the Core A-line tennis skirt features attached shorts to allow you to stay confident on the court.
Thanks to its A-like shape, the Fila Core tennis skorts also accentuate the waist and thus flatter the wearer. For most women, both function and appearance are important in tennis skirts, so the A-line design of Core may appeal to many buyers.
- 100% Polyester
- A-line skort- This skort has a fashionable A-line hem
- Coolmax lining- A Coolmax lining helps keep you from overheating and reduces perspiration
- Attached undershorts- This skorts attached undershorts provide extra coverage when playing sports
- Classic silhouette- This classic silhouette flatters all body types
Had the Core skirt had some spandex in it too, it would have been perfect. It has some stretch to it, but it’s not as stretchy as the 3AXE skorts reviewed earlier. The A-line design should still be able to keep you mobile on the court though.
- Accentuates the waist.
- Built-in undershorts.
- Moisture-wicking Coolmax lining.
- Not very stretchy.
The HEAD women’s athletic tennis skort is a good choice if you are on a budget and want something with good freedom of movement.
This skirt/short combo features a blend of 90% polyester and 10% spandex for added stretchiness. Aside from that, the HEAD shorts are rather wide at the bottom and thus should not restrict your movement in any way. All in all, the stretchiness and the width make this skirt a rather unrestrictive option.
The fabric here is also moisture-wicking, so you should stay dry, cool, and comfy during the game.
Like some of our previous tennis skirt picks, the HEAD tennis skirt has built-in undershorts too. The undershorts don’t have any pockets, unfortunately, which may be a dealbreaker for some people. But they will still cover you on the court just fine.
- Any Sport: Whether you're practicing your serve or just going for a run, HEAD workout skorts will keep you feeling fit and fashionable. Perfect for any exercise, running, and obviously, tennis.
- Bold Looks: Our activewear skorts are available in several different trendy designs. Fitness never looked this good. Please note these active skorts run small, so consider sizing up!
- Secure Fit: Our shorts skirt combination bottoms feature a snug banded waist that moves with your body and stays put during workouts.
- Athletic Design: Comfortable flat seams keep you comfy all day long. Moisture wicking material ensures you stay dry and comfortable during high impact activities.
- Polyspan Blend: A 90% Polyester and 10% Spandex fabric blend provides a soft, comfortable and breathable performance sports skirt.
What’s also super-nice about the HEAD tennis skorts is that they are really inexpensive for what you are getting. At this price point, moisture-wicking fabric alone is quite a huge feature. So if your budget is tight and you want something practical, then the HEAD tennis skorts are probably going to be just right for you.
HEAD offers a very wide range of colors and styles for this tennis skirt as well, although unfortunately, the choice of shades is kind of limited.
Oh, and note that this skort seems to run small and short, so you may want to get a size bigger. But do your own research to figure out what would work the best for you.
- Moisture-wicking material.
- Rather stretchy.
- Excellent freedom of movement.
- Built-in undershorts.
- A very wide range of colors and styles.
- The undershorts have no pockets, which may be a downside for some people.
- Seems to run small and short.
Finally, we have the Nike Women’s Court Dry straight tennis skorts. These are perhaps the very best tennis skorts you will find out there – if you are ready to pay a high price.
The highlight of the Nike tennis skirt is its high spandex content – 12%. With that, this is the most stretchy tennis skirt on the list. The straight cut might make this skirt feel more restrictive than other options, but the stretchiness should balance that out.
The Nike tennis skirt features the Nike Dry sweat-wicking fabric as well, allowing you to stay cool and dry on the court. To allow you to make moves on the court confidently, this skirt features undershorts as well.
Finally, the standard 13-inch length makes this skirt suitable for most female tennis players too.
- Very stretchy.
- Regular 13-inch length.
- Sweat-wicking fabric.
- Built-in shorts.
- Fairly expensive.
Shopping for a tennis skirt is quite a bit harder than shopping for tennis shorts. This is mainly because a tennis skirt needs to be not only high-performance but also not too revealing. There definitely is more to look for in tennis skirts than shorts.
Anyway, like we usually do, it’s now time for us to share our top pick from the reviews.
In our opinion, the very best tennis skirt on our list is the Nike Women’s Court Dry Straight Tennis Skort. As a reminder, this is thanks to its:
- 13-inch length that is optimal for most women.
- Built-in shorts to keep you covered.
- Sweat-wicking fabric.
This skirt has a steep price, but it’s an excellent choice for serious tennis players.
As our budget pick, we choose the HEAD Women’s Athletic Tennis Skort. This tennis skirt has some minor problems – like the small sizing and no pockets on the undershorts – but it is cheap, has moisture-wicking fabric, and delivers a very good level of freedom.
By no means are we stating that you won’t find anything better than our top 5 picks, but for most people, they should be fine. All of the reviewed tennis skirts offer good value for the money, and they can satisfy a wide range of needs.
Follow our recommendations and buyer’s guide to make the right choice. And if you don’t think that our picks are worth your time and money, look around more.